Monday, May 24, 2021

Wisdom to Rely On

Wisdom to Rely On

1 Corinthians 1: 18 For the message about Christ's death on the cross is nonsense to those who are being lost; but for us who are being saved it is God's power. 19 The scripture says,

 

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise
    and set aside the understanding of the scholars.”

 

20 So then, where does that leave the wise? or the scholars? or the skillful debaters of this world? God has shown that this world's wisdom is foolishness!

 

============

 

 

“Sit down and pray” was the advice given to me that did not make sense. You mean to tell me that I need to say some words to GOD and my problems would go away? I said skeptically. I was amongst scholars who had “proven” their ability to think in front of other people. I chose to pray. It didn’t make sense. My problem of that time, went away as quickly as it came/

 

  • Many times I considered using the wisdom of others to get out of trouble.
  • Many times I thought I would follow the examples of “successful” people to get ahead.
  • Many times I worried and needed to talk to people who others considered “wise.”

 

Paul says something daring about JESUS’ death burial and resurrection. He says it is “nonsense” to those who are being lost. He knew that reliance on what is seen and proven could have flaws. Where should I place my hope?

 

  • GOD wants me to rely on HIS wisdom to get me out of troubles.
  • GOD wants me to rely on HIS wisdom to guide me to HIS promises.
  • GOD wants me to rely on HIS wisdom to truly be successful.

 

Relying on GOD takes faith in the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things that cannot be seen. I mean, time after time, GOD has shown me that HIS way usually does not make sense to the wise people I know. Stopping, sitting and asking GOD “What do YOU want me to do?” is foolishness to those who cannot conceive that only GOD has the answer.

 

The wise and scholarly and great debaters of the world who do not rely on GOD’s wisdom will be shown as foolish. It is GOD who has the power to make the impossible happen. My belief in JESUS is the power that fuels my decisions. I am grateful HE chose me when I would not choose HIM.

 

  • What information do you rely on?
  • Are you seeking other humans to help you determine your next actions?
  • Will you place your trust in GOD, even when it looks foolish to those who may not be following HIM, but the world considers wise?

No comments:

Post a Comment