Friday, May 14, 2021

Consider the Menial

Consider the Menial

Romans 16: 21 Timothy, my fellow worker, and Lucius, Jason, and Sosipater, my countrymen, greet you.

22 I, Tertius, who wrote this epistle, greet you in the Lord.

23 Gaius, my host and the host of the whole church, greets you. Erastus, the treasurer of the city, greets you, and Quartus, a brother. 24 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

 

============

 

“You are invited to the meeting” were words that delighted me. I did not know why I was invited because it included high ranking officers in the company. “Maybe they recognize ‘my’ potential” I arrogantly thought to myself.

 

“You are here to take notes.” I was dejected, but did so anyway. After a while, I was known amongst the officers. They promoted me and I did not have to ask for it.

 

  • There have been tasks that I felt were beneath me.
  • There have been things that needed to be done that I felt someone else should do.
  • There have been menial jobs, assignments and projects I have been given that I labeled as low visibility, meanwhile I looked with envy at thing I labeled as “high” visibility, meaning the high people would see it.

 

If I were to ask “Who wrote the letter to the Romans?” everyone would say Paul and they would be partially correct. These are Pauls’ words as given to him by the HOLY SPIRIT, but the real “writer” of the letter is Tertius. He mentions that he “wrote” the letter.

 

  • GOD wants me to not think more highly of myself.
  • GOD wants me to be faithful with small things so HE can trust me with the large.
  • GOD wants me to see every person as “high” and keep away from labeling people with levels.

 

Tertius was obedient to GOD and did not think it to be too low to receive dictation from Paul. He probably felt quite the opposite. I wonder if he felt he had a sense of duty to get this important message out from Paul who was oppressed everywhere he went. This menial  task led to a great letter. I am grateful for all those who are like Tertius, serving the LORD and knowing what they do is important.

 

  • Do you feel lower than other people?
  • Do you think that what GOD has you doing is menial?
  • Will you stop comparing yourself to other people and know that what you are doing for the LORD is considered great to HIM?

No comments:

Post a Comment