Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Facing Fears

Facing Fears

Philippians 1: 28 Don't be afraid of your enemies; always be courageous, and this will prove to them that they will lose and that you will win, because it is God who gives you the victory. 29 For you have been given the privilege of serving Christ, not only by believing in him, but also by suffering for him. 30 Now you can take part with me in the battle. It is the same battle you saw me fighting in the past, and as you hear, the one I am fighting still.

 

============

 

Having no money, no title and no direction, I felt free to face the future. “Anywhere I go is better than where I am now” I groused. I was not afraid to try new things or go new places. But when I got a little money and a title and was leading the direction, I worried about “my” family and “my” stuff and “my” security. “What about the future?” I now asked.

 

  • I had become full of fear.
  • I had become blinded into thinking “I” was in control of “my” destiny.
  • I had become so busy trying to fight for what I had, that I was willing to step away from the true battle.

 

Paul says some difficult words. “Don’t be afraid.” He says these unpopular words to everyone, then follow them up with even worse words. “Suffering for HIM.” He equated the suffering believers go through as partaking in a little of what CHRIST went through.

 

My Observations

  • Fear will take me away from serving CHRIST fully, BUT GOD allows circumstances in my life that keep me praying for HIS help.
  • Fear makes me make selfish decisions, BUT GOD wants me to be courageous enough to believe in HIS power, even if it means suffering.
  • Fear is only one tactic the enemy uses, BUT GOD has already won the victory and has included me in it.

 

Many questions run through my mind that add fear to my countenance. “What will happen in the future?” or “What if I get sick or hurt?” or “How much money is enough to live it up until I die?” These and other questions make me make decisions that can sometimes seem courageous to the world, but in reality, can be detrimental to me.

 

GOD holds the future, the present and the past. HE owns everything and is all powerful. HE has given all authority to JESUS, who was raised from the dead. Believing in JESUS is great, but being willing to give up fears to keep pressing towards HIS direction, keeps me in the spiritual battle. I am glad GOD helps me face my fears to keep fighting for HIM.

 

Challenge

  • Why do you think the writer gives this stern warning?
  • What spiritual enemies do you have?
  • Have you ever been discouraged, distraught or disillusioned enough to want to give up on GOD?
  • Will you be “courageous”, knowing that GOD has given you the victory even when it does not feel like it?

No comments:

Post a Comment