Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Reputation

Reputation

Philippians 1: 27 Now, the important thing is that your way of life should be as the gospel of Christ requires, so that, whether or not I am able to go and see you, I will hear that you are standing firm with one common purpose and that with only one desire you are fighting together for the faith of the gospel. 

 

============

 

Trying to fit in was not easy. It seemed like the “in” crowd had a mysterious criteria that I never could meet. I decided to do what “they” were doing so I could be accepted. Maybe I could get a “good” reputation by being in the right crowd..

 

  • I wanted to be known by association.
  • I wanted to be part of a group who other people admired.
  • I wanted to be seen as I saw other people.

 

Paul wanted to see the people he wrote to. He knew everyone would act “nice”  in his presence, but what about when he was not there? He gives everyone instructions to live “as the Gospel requires” whether he was there or not.

 

My Observations

  • Character is what GOD looks at in me.
  • GOD sees what I do when I am alone, or in a crowd.
  • My heart will shape my reputation.

 

“Standing firm” and “fighting together for the faith of the gospel” are two important elements of a reputation GOD wants me to have. I mean, the “in” crowd may have a reputation that is counter to the faith in CHRIST at times and other times it aligns with it. This wavering is not “firm.”

 

Each day the world throws another challenge that faith in GOD could easily solve. Unfortunately, reputations become more important than serving HIM and praising HIM in public. GOD wants my reputation to be aligned with HIS so others may know I serve HIM. I am glad to give up a popular reputation and to be known as a servant of GOD.

 

Challenge

  • What is the way of life the writer is speaking of?
  • Have you ever heard “your reputation proceeds you?”
  • What kind of reputation would you like to have?
  • Will you serve CHRIST sincerely so others may know HIM through you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment