Friday, June 3, 2022

Obedience School

Obedience School

Ephesians 6: Children, it is your Christian duty to obey your parents, for this is the right thing to do. “Respect your father and mother” is the first commandment that has a promise added: “so that all may go well with you, and you may live a long time in the land.”

 

Parents, do not treat your children in such a way as to make them angry. Instead, raise them with Christian discipline and instruction.

 

============

 

“Get up and finish the work I told you to do” were the words both of my parents had to use on several occasions. I wants to sit around and take it easy, but they ‘always” seemed to have something to pick up, clean up or tear up.

 

  • I grumbled.
  • I murmured.
  • I tried to convince them that I did not feel like doing whatever work they wanted me to do but had no other reason than, “I don’t feel like it.”

 

Family dynamics was a difficult topic that GOD wanted Paul to address. Honor, respect and obedience seemed like words of control to those who wanted to be wild and free. Dishonor, disrespect and disobedience had become the norm and needed a remedy.

 

My Observations

  • GOD wanted me to learn how to obey as a child so I would later obey HIS strange, yet powerful ways.
  • GOD wanted me to learn how to respect as a child so I would later respect HIS variety of creations that do not look or act like me.
  • GOD wanted me to learn discipline from HIS word so I would have a basis from which I could make decisions.

 

Obedience, honor, respect, discipline and learning about GOD seem weak to those who want to be wild and free. I mean, I thought my parents just wanted workers versus children. I tried to manipulate the circumstance by thinking they weren’t expressing love by having me do chores. BUT GOD showed me my immaturity.

 

Looking back I can see how blessed I was to have parents who loved me enough to attempt to care for me, clothe me and feed me, all while trying to teach me about who GOD was to them. They also knew when to step back and allow me to with walk with GOD or choose “my” own way, even if it were destructive. I am grateful for my parents and understand more of what GOD is doing because of them.

 

Challenge

  • What problems do you think the writer was trying to address?
  • How can imperfect people provide instruction that works?
  • Will you look at this passage from being a child or a parent so you can make adjustments that are pleasing to the LORD today?

No comments:

Post a Comment