Wednesday, June 22, 2022

No Need to Argue

No Need to Argue

Philippians 1: 15 Of course some of them preach Christ because they are jealous and quarrelsome, but others from genuine good will. 16 These do so from love, because they know that God has given me the work of defending the gospel. 17 The others do not proclaim Christ sincerely, but from a spirit of selfish ambition; they think that they will make more trouble for me while I am in prison.

 

============

 

“Did you see the email!?” I said to a friend in an offended way. There was a scripture mention that raised a huge debate. We went back and forth, adding point and counterpoint. To this day, I do not know what we argued over, and now I don’t even remember the guy’s name.

 

  • I was offended easily when I heard something that did not align to “my” thinking..
  • I was ready to “argue” about scripture.
  • I was a self-proclaimed defender of the scriptures.

 

Paul addressed a touchy subject, namely motive of speaking about JESUS. Some people saw Paul was getting attention and, out of jealousy, spoke the name of JESUS too. Combative quarrelsome motive with the ambition to be noticed or right made more trouble than peace.

 

My Observations

  • Love is the motive GOD wants me to have in my relationship with HIM.
  • Peace is the offering GOD wants me to give to HIS creation.
  • Joy is what GOD wants me to carry during troubled times so others can come to HIM in spite of their circumstance.

 

Fighting over who is right about GOD is futile. I mean, not one of us is right about GOD. There is no one who seeks HIM. BUT GOD did something amazing. HE sought us. HE became a human, died for us and was raised from the dead. I’m talking about JESUS. HE did not do this to cause fights about HIM, rather because HE loved us dearly.

 

Unfortunately, HE knew HIS message of love would split families, communities and churches. Arguments, jealousy and bitterness grows, BUT so does HIS love. GOD’s grace is sufficient and HIS anger is slow. I am grateful GOD is patient with me and gives me a chance to drop my combative spirit.

 

Challenge

  • What reasons does the writer give for speaking about CHRIST?
  • Have you ever argued over what someone else said or did?
  • How are you proclaiming the message of CHRIST?
  • Will you be the one who brings GOD’s peace and love to places that contain quarrels and combativeness today?

No comments:

Post a Comment