Friday, September 30, 2022

Invisible Slavery

 

Invisible Slavery

Colossians 3: 22 Slaves, obey your human masters in all things, not only when they are watching you because you want to gain their approval; but do it with a sincere heart because of your reverence for the Lord. 23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as though you were working for the Lord and not for people. 24 Remember that the Lord will give you as a reward what he has kept for his people. For Christ is the real Master you serve. 25 And all wrongdoers will be repaid for the wrong things they do, because God judges everyone by the same standard.

 

============

 

Despising my job had become paramount in my life. When I punched out on Thursday night, my weekend was supposed to begin. Instead of relaxing, I groused that I needed to be back at work Sunday night. “I hate this job!” I thought to myself when I heard of stories of people having “fun” while I was working.

 

“Slaves” is a difficult word to get over and so is the word “master.” Humans have used these categories to debase people and force people to do “work” while they lived a life of luxury. When Paul wrote this letter, acceptable categories of “worker” did not exist. He told those who did the work to do it for CHRIST.

 

My Observations

  • Greedy people will always want someone to work for them, BUT GOD sees my heart when I work for HIM.
  • Title seekers want to be in control of the workforce, BUT GOD wants me to recognize CHRIST as the real “boss” who owns my life.
  • Micromanagers may hover over my shoulder as I clean a toilet for work, BUT GOD wants all my heart and HE sees my work and rewards it when I give it to HIM.

 

Relabeling work to acceptable titles has made “slavery” invisible and acceptable. I mean, I despised being a janitor because of the hours away from “fun.” But when I got a “career” job I spent double the hours away from “fun.” My job had me in an invisible slavery that made me money and kept me from speaking about JESUS.

 

GOD despises hierarchies, especially those created to hold another human “down.’ HE sees injustice and has a plan to repay all who try to keep others from reaching HIS plan. CHRIST is the only leader who deserves to be bowed down to. I gladly give all my work to HIM.

 

Challenge

  • What words form the writer jump out at you?
  • Have you ever had a job you did not like and did it only for the money?
  • Until GOD moves you to something else, will you consider dong your “work” for HIM?
  • If you manage people, will you consider the fact that GOD is watching you and will repay you with how you treated HIS people?

No comments:

Post a Comment