Wednesday, September 21, 2022

First Response

First Response

Colossians 3: 12 You are the people of God; he loved you and chose you for his own. So then, you must clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. 

 

============

 

“Aw man! I forgot a bag at the grocery store!” I said to myself. Knowing the day was full, I dreaded the trip back to the store. Long lines ran through my mind because I did not want to face this and to top it off, I noticed I had been double charged!

 

When I got there, another customer, who was returning things, moved slowly to the counter and painstakingly returned everything in the world!

 

  • I had things to do and places to be.
  • My first thought was to approach this with anger and rage.
  • GOD made me choose smiling instead and the ordeal went quite pleasantly as I got my item and a refund for the double charge.

 

Paul tells everyone “You are the people of GOD” as if to say “Act like it.” He implies “Since you are people of GOD, act like HIM.” He then gives examples like compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. These sound familiar. Oh yeah, the fruit of the SPIRIT.

 

My Observations

  • When difficult situations arise, GOD wants me to rely on the HOLY SPIRIT for the answer.
  • I sometimes want to respond with my instinct, BUT GOD wants me to respond with HIS qualities.
  • My first response needs to be tamed with GOD’s compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

 

Better things happen when I come into a difficult or combative situation wearing the right clothes. I mean, when I walk into a circumstance prepared to use the fruit of the SPIRIT, things always go well. Unfortunately, I choose the argument or dive into combat, never once thinking what the other person is going through.

 

GOD gives me an alternative to my first response in difficult situations. Act like I am HIS. HE loved me enough to choose me. I owe my life to HIM. I walk around naked because of sin. HE says “Here. Put these clothes on.” I am glad HE cares for me and is willing to change my first response.

 

Challenge

  • Do you get a sense of family from the writer?
  • What does it mean to be “chosen” and “loved” by GOD?
  • Will you put on the clothes of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience as your first response today?

No comments:

Post a Comment