Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Holding On

Colossians 2: 18 Do not allow yourselves to be condemned by anyone who claims to be superior because of special visions and who insists on false humility and the worship of angels. For no reason at all, such people are all puffed up by their human way of thinking 19 and have stopped holding on to Christ, who is the head of the body. Under Christ's control the whole body is nourished and held together by its joints and ligaments, and it grows as God wants it to grow.

 

============

 

Seeking help when I was feeling pretty low, I sought advice from the rich and powerful. I had placed my entire identity in work and now I was no longer employed. “Follow this person” and “follow that person” was the confusing advice from well-meaning people. Nothing helped.

 

  • I felt lost.
  • I did not know who to turn to.
  • I was feeling desperate so I was open to listening to anyone who could provide a path to “success.”

 

Paul continues with another warning. He cautions everyone not to be condemned by anyone who “claimed” to be superior. These people wanted a following so they made up their visions and even worse they pretended to be humble and finally they worshipped spiritual being lower tan GOD. Their smooth talk tore people away from following CHRIST.

 

My Observations

  • Following people can possibly drag me away from following CHRIST if I’m not careful.
  • Acting like I’m superior or falsely humble or telling people I worship angels can bring on condemnation to others and myself.
  • Being so desperate that I would follow “successful” people and let go of CHRIST can be my downfall.

 

Holding onto CHRIST is hard at times. I mean, when times are really, really difficult, it seems like someone pops up at the right time with the right solution that pulls me away from CHRIST. I ignore the warning signs of their celebrity status and place my hope in their “success.” BUT GOD wants me to act different.

 

CHRIST is the only one who is superior. HIS death, burial and resurrection gives HIM all authority over every situation. HE is the one I should seek when I am low. HE is also the one who requires praise when things go well for me. I point my life to HIM and hope you will follow JESUS.

 

Challenge

  • What is the writer’s warning?
  • Have you ever wanted to follow celebrities in hopes that your life would change?
  • Are you willing to stop following CHRIST to obtain some temporary “success?”
  • Will you seek JESUS as the head of your life and recognize HE feeds the body or church, holds it together and grows it for HIS purpose today?

No comments:

Post a Comment