Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Chasing Shadows

Chasing Shadows

Colossians 2: 16 So let no one make rules about what you eat or drink or about holy days or the New Moon Festival or the Sabbath. 17 All such things are only a shadow of things in the future; the reality is Christ.

 

============

 

When I realized that my life was really, really messed up, I tried to do “right.” I started praying and reduced sins. Soon I found myself living only by “the rules.” When something else went wrong, I wondered which rule I broke to deserve a trial.

 

  • I was trying to control my life.
  • I was tired of things going “wrong” so I tried being “good.”
  • I wound up living for the rules versus living for CHRIST.

 

Paul addressed an issue that is still going on to this very day. People worshipped food and argued over which day was holier than the next. While there may have been some merit in following “the rules” for the individual, it paled in comparison to the one solid truth, namely JESUS.

 

My Observations

  • GOD’s Word is there to guide me and comfort me.
  • GOD wants me to place my faith in JESUS versus being disappointed when I don’t follow the rules correctly.
  • GOD wants me excited enough to tell others about JESUS instead of telling people how to “live right.”

 

JESUS is the destination. I mean, when I get caught up in trying to “be holy” I place more trust in myself, than on HIS forgiveness. JESUS paid it all. All to HIM I owe. Sin had left a crimson stain. HE washed it white as snow.

 

M destination needs to change. When I focus on what JESUS did and wants to do, it changes my wants. HE did away with all my mistakes and is in control of all my situations. I gladly live for HIM and know HE is my Savior.

 

Challenge

  • Why does the writer use “shadow” in the description? 
  • Have you ever tried to measure how good you are by the number of rules you follow?
  • Will you seek placing JESUS over everything in your life so you can be satisfied with how things are going right now and so HE can reveal people HE wants to draw to HIMSELF today?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment