Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Renewing Image

Renewing Image

Colossians 3: But now you must get rid of all these things: anger, passion, and hateful feelings. No insults or obscene talk must ever come from your lips. Do not lie to one another, for you have put off the old self with its habits 10 and have put on the new self. This is the new being which God, its Creator, is constantly renewing in his own image, in order to bring you to a full knowledge of himself. 11 As a result, there is no longer any distinction between Gentiles and Jews, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarians, savages, slaves, and free, but Christ is all, Christ is in all.

 

============

 

“Where were you?” was the strange question given to me. I had snuck back to my apartment, made dinner, ate and came back to work to clock out. My clothes wreaked of cooked food and I was not where I was supposed to be. “I am disappointed in you especially.”

 

  • I could see the disappointment in his face.
  • I had not done what I was supposed to.
  • I ruined my image over something that could have waited.

 

Paul addresses image. Some people were expressing rage, hatred and extreme feelings against or towards specific groups of people. Their image was no longer like that of GOD. Instead, they had fallen into habits that were divisive.

 

My Observations

  • GOD created me in HIS image and HE was very pleased.
  • Sin caused me to no longer look like HIM, rather I looked like the enemy who tried to steal me.
  • JESUS restored my image and provided the HOLY SPIRIT who is “constantly renewing” me in HIS own image.

 

Being born into sin seems unfair and impossible to overcome. I mean, I did not choose to be born, yet because I was born, I an condemned! Not fair! BUT GOD saw this and made things right. JESUS saw the impossible situation, became a human, allowed HIS creation to murder HIM and was raised from the dead for all who believe.

 

Salvation changed my image from death to life. I am now alive! Because of JESUS I have purpose, abundant life and hope. I still sin, but I have an alternative and forgiveness that enables me to have peace in the middle of the storm. I am glad GOD cares about me enough to bring me back to HIS image.

 

Challenge

  • What does the writer mean by “put on the new self?”
  • Do you think GOD, who saved you, has left you on your own to figure out how to get out of trials?
  • Will you trust GOD’s ways enough to drop some old habits and to become more and more like HIM, little by little today?

No comments:

Post a Comment