Friday, September 9, 2022

Circumcised, Baptized, Symbolized

Circumcised, Baptized, Symbolized

Colossians 2: 11 In union with Christ you were circumcised, not with the circumcision that is made by human beings, but with the circumcision made by Christ, which consists of being freed from the power of this sinful self. 12 For when you were baptized, you were buried with Christ, and in baptism you were also raised with Christ through your faith in the active power of God, who raised him from death. 

 

============

 

Joining a group made me feel like I finally fit in. I had gone through all the barriers of joining and received a pin that represented my inclusion in the group. To some, this was a symbol that would shape their life.

 

  • I felt I was part of a group.
  • I wore my symbols proudly.
  • I thought the group gave me “purpose.”

 

Paul spoke of the symbolism of circumcision and baptism. He lets everyone know that true circumcision is not from humans rather it is a spiritual cutting of the heart that results  being freed from the enslaving power of sin. He also explains that baptism is a symbolic death and resurrection believers can share to show their faith in JESUS.

 

My Observations

  • I can celebrate being freed from sin every day by recognizing JESUS.
  • I can show the world I “belong” to the largest family that will live eternally by praising JESUS.
  • I can live as a freed person by placing my trust in JESUS.

 

Circumcision and baptism are nice symbolic rituals, BUT GOD wants my heart. I mean, the rules have to apply for men and women alike. HE sees the sin in my heart and knows I need surgery that can only come from HIM.

 

HE cuts away the sin that clings to my soul and replaces it with HIS SPIRIT. HE then washes away all my sins with the blood of JESUS which covers me from head to toe. The blood that JESUS shed for me is still powerful enough to raise me from the dead. I am glad I have already been raised from an eternal death.

 

Challenge

  • What circumcision is the writer speaking of?
  • Have you ever just wanted to be “free?”
  • Will you accept CHRIST’s freedom by being baptized into HIS vast family so you can belong to HIM today?

No comments:

Post a Comment