Friday, September 30, 2022

Being the Boss

Being the Boss

Colossians 4:1 Masters, be fair and just in the way you treat your slaves. Remember that you too have a Master in heaven.

 

============

 

“When I’m in charge, things will be different” I said to myself. I was tired of being told what to do from harsh people and wanted to do the “telling” in a more gentle way. I was given the responsibility of managing a few people. It was exhausting! They had many questions and were not completing the work. “Maybe I should be harsh” I thought to myself.

 

  • I was willing to fire people for not doing the work.
  • I did not want to hear excuses.
  • I thought being the boss would be easier than it was.

 

“Master” and “slave” are still hard words to overcome. For centuries, people of all races have tried to get people to do forced work while reaping the benefits of free labor in search of profit margins. Paul did not have the verbiage of “employee” and “employer.” He warns those in charge that GOD is watching.

 

My Observations

  • GOD wants me to treat all people “fair and just”
  • If I am in charge of people, my first reaction needs to go through GOD.
  • Since I report to GOD, I must take into account HIS desires and purpose for me and my employees.

 

“Person” or “Profit”? I mean, do I see people and their needs or do I only see the company and its needs? This is a struggle as profit margins wane. BUT GOD has a remedy. HE simply wants to be the boss in all situations.

 

Being “fair and just” does not mean being a pushover. GOD wants me to treat employees with respect and pay him or her wages due to the work they have completed. I cannot favor one person over the other and I can correct employees as GOD corrects me.  I gladly yield to GOD’s authority because HE shows me compassion and correction.

 

Challenge

  • What words from the writer, if any, are difficult to absorb?
  • Have you ever managed employees or got tired of the “boss?”
  • If you ever manage people or a project, will you place GOD over all your actions and decisions today?

No comments:

Post a Comment