Thursday, September 15, 2022

Stay Freed

Stay Freed

Colossians 2: 20 You have died with Christ and are set free from the ruling spirits of the universe. Why, then, do you live as though you belonged to this world? Why do you obey such rules as 21 “Don't handle this,” “Don't taste that,” “Don't touch the other”? 22 All these refer to things which become useless once they are used; they are only human rules and teachings. 23 Of course such rules appear to be based on wisdom in their forced worship of angels, and false humility, and severe treatment of the body; but they have no real value in controlling physical passions.

 

============

 

Moving to a new city gave me a chance to start over. I’m going to leave my “old” ways and start fresh, I thought to myself. But after a while, I found myself lonely. I wonder if I should go back to my partying lifestyle, I thought.

 

  • I had second thoughts about following CHRIST.
  • I justified my thoughts by saying “This is boring.”
  • I felt like I needed to return to something familiar than traverse the unknown with JESUS.

 

Paul addressed the problem of people worshiping angels, idols and food. Those who had bee set free by believing in JESUS were considering rules that would put them into a worse situation. These rules were “useless.”

 

My Observations

  • When I am feeling lonely, I open myself up to the world’s ways, BUT GOD is always there for me.
  • When I want to get ahead in life I am susceptible to deceptive ways, BUT THE HOLY SPIRIT will not let me go to places I should not be.
  • When I am too busy or harassed or frightened, I am vulnerable to accepting desperate solutions that put me in much worse situations, BUT GOD is there to pick up my brokenness.

 

Leaving JESUS to follow the world seems quick and easy, but can be detrimental. I mean, once I have been freed from the bondage of sin, I should not return to it, right? Of course not! But that’s what I want to do. I seek the comforts sin brings me and I find myself following the world’s very strong beliefs.

 

After a while, I look just like the world saying “Don’t eat that” or “Don’t handle that.” These rules are not of GOD. HE wants me to remain freed and preach the value of being forgiven. All my sins have been washed away. I have died with CHRIST. I am grateful for the new life HE has given me.

 

Challenge

  • What question is the writer posing?
  • Have you found yourself following human rules because you were frightened or ambitious or had a moment of weakness?
  • Will you focus on the freedom CHRIST has given you so your decisions will not turn out disastrous from a spiritual perspective?

No comments:

Post a Comment