Friday, March 27, 2020

Pledge is a Promise


Acts 5: But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession. And he kept back part of the proceeds, his wife also being aware of it, and brought a certain part and laid it at the apostles’ feet. But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.”

============

“I’m going to call you” were the words I used in vain. I may get around to it or maybe not. Soon this lackadaisical attitude spilled into other areas of my life. “Yes, I will pray for you” would come out of my mouth but what I was praying about immediately flew out of my mind and I would not pray.

  • There were times when I would agree to do something and not follow through.
  • There were times when I would volunteer for something, get bored, and stop showing up.
  • There were times when I would not complete what I said I would complete.


Ananias and Sapphira were aware of that everyone boldly sold their possessions to give to those in need. “How would it look if we did not sell?” they may have said to themselves. “How can we keep some of this and still look good?” may have been a thought. GOD spoke though Peter, condemning their choice.

  • GOD wants me to be honest and say “No I cannot do that.”
  • GOD wants me to keep my voluntary decisions as promises.
  • GOD wants me to complete the things I start, not for myself, but as a vow to others.


Saying “I’m going to” voluntarily should not be done in vain to someone else. Saying “I’m going to pick you up” and not showing up could cause problems. GOD sees the large and small pledges and knows who will follow through and who will not.

HE wants me to say “Yes” to HIS calling, but only when I will follow through with HIS leading. If I say “Yes” but act like I said “No”, dire consequences could follow. I am thankful GOD gives me opportunities to say “Yes.”

  • Have you volunteered and not followed through?
  • Do you say you will do something so you will look good in front of people?
  • Will you stop trying to please humans and seek to please GOD by doing what you say?  


No comments:

Post a Comment