Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Act or React?

 

Act or React?

Romans 9: 10 And this is not all. For Rebecca's two sons had the same father, our ancestor Isaac. 11-12 But in order that the choice of one son might be completely the result of God's own purpose, God said to her, “The older will serve the younger.” He said this before they were born, before they had done anything either good or bad; so God's choice was based on his call, and not on anything they had done. 13 As the scripture says, “I loved Jacob, but I hated Esau.”

 

============

 

Wanting to fit in, I joined in the mischievousness when the teacher left the room. I was teased for being “smart”. That was before the term “nerd” was popular. I wanted to prove I could be cool.

 

Go in the coat closet with that girl, was the dare. I did not know what to do in the coat closet, so I agreed. We stood there for a while. When we came out, the teacher was back and laughter filled the room.  The teacher held me after class and said “I will overlook this because it is not how you normally act.” I didn’t do that again.

 

Many times I have been spared based on being known.

Many times I did not get in trouble for something I did wrong.

Many times I should have been punished for something I did, but instead, I was given grace.

 

Paul uses Jacob and Esau as an example of GOD’s choice. GOD saw the two kids before they were born and chose one before they had done anything “good” or “bad.” HE told their mother, Rebecca, of HIS choice.

 

GOD knew I would believe in HIM before I believed in JESUS.

GOD knew every sin I would do, yet HE chose me to live.

GOD knew I would mess up time and time again, yet HE saved me.

 

Looking at GOD through dirty eyes, paints HIM to be the bad guy. I mean, when I question HIS existence, or why HE did something, I am looking at it from the sin I was born with. Sometimes my eyes are dirtier than others.

 

I question “Why do bad things happen to good people?” I then question, “Why tell someone about JESUS if the choice was made for them?” These are valid and difficult questions. I am then provided with an answer. “I AM” says the LORD.

 

GOD, the creator, showed HIS love for me, enough to follow HIS own rule that somehow states, any sin, no matter how small, separates humans from HIM by death. JESUS took on that sin and saved me from eternal death. My reaction is to praise what HE did.

 

Are you trying to earn GOD’s favor by acting good?

Do you judge others when they act ”bad?”

Will you focus on the grace and rejoice that GOD loved you so much that HE died for you so you would not have to be punished forever?

No comments:

Post a Comment