Thursday, March 25, 2021

Real Grace

 

Real Grace

Romans 11: I ask, then: Did God reject his own people? Certainly not! I myself am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham, a member of the tribe of Benjamin. God has not rejected his people, whom he chose from the beginning. You know what the scripture says in the passage where Elijah pleads with God against Israel: “Lord, they have killed your prophets and torn down your altars; I am the only one left, and they are trying to kill me.” What answer did God give him? “I have kept for myself seven thousand men who have not worshiped the false god Baal.” It is the same way now: there is a small number left of those whom God has chosen because of his grace. His choice is based on his grace, not on what they have done. For if God's choice were based on what people do, then his grace would not be real grace.

 

============

 

Tiptoeing through my career, I tried not to make any mistakes. For years, I practice every speech, worked long hours and denied family, just like I was supposed to. Every penny was accounted for on every expense report.

 

But this day was special, my parents were celebrating a milestone anniversary and I would have to miss an “important” meeting. I missed the meeting and things got tough at work. I found out later, it wasn’t the meeting I missed, I would have been “imperfect” somewhere else according to the new leader’s standards.

 

  • There have been times when I needed grace but it was not to be found.
  • There have been times when I wanted to be myself, but was chained to be what I was “supposed” to be.
  • There have been times when I asked for grace and did not receive it.

 

Paul explains that GOD has not turned on HIS people. He goes into depth about his background of being from the Tribe of Benjamin. He knew he was part of the chosen people. But he also knew the chosen people had turned their backs on GOD by killing JESUS who they overlooked as being GOD. Paul also explains that GOD chose people because of HIS grace.

 

  • GOD knows I am imperfect.
  • GOD decided to save me even though I could not meet HIS standards.
  • GOD poured out HIS mercy on me even though I truly did not deserve it.

 

GOD’s grace is a wonderful gift. I mean, HE has a standard that people take for granted. HE requires no sin. But we are born into sin, so all of HIS creations deserve eternal separation from HIM.

 

BUT GOD showed tremendous grace. HE decided to take on the punishment for my sins. HE knew every sin I would ever commit and died for me anyway. HIS standard is high and HIS grace is higher. O am grateful for HIS saving grace.

 

  • Are you angry at someone?
  • Do you feel that person did something wrong and you want to see  “justice?”
  • Will you ask GOD for the strength to pray for your enemies and provide grace to those who persecute you today?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment