Thursday, May 19, 2022

Instead

Instead

Ephesians 4: 29 Do not use harmful words, but only helpful words, the kind that build up and provide what is needed, so that what you say will do good to those who hear you. 30 And do not make God's Holy Spirit sad; for the Spirit is God's mark of ownership on you, a guarantee that the Day will come when God will set you free. 31 Get rid of all bitterness, passion, and anger. No more shouting or insults, no more hateful feelings of any sort. 32 Instead, be kind and tender-hearted to one another, and forgive one another, as God has forgiven you through Christ.

 

============

 

Nervous to use “bad words”, I kept my conversation to a minimum. Unfortunately this particular day was my turn to be picked on by thugs and by some, who I thought were my friends. I blurted out some curse words I had heard over the years. Laughter came from all over. “You don’t even know how to curse!” someone said.

 

  • I was embarrassed so I practiced harmful words to keep them available, just in case.
  • I wanted to fit in and rationalized that no words were really “bad” words, they were just words.
  • I wanted to “vent” and to tell these people off so they would leave me alone!

 

Paul had a huge task in front of him. He was addressing verbal fights and numerous arguments. This divisiveness led to passive and overt attacks on one another that was used to tear people down. GOD gave another path through Paul’s writing.

 

My Observations

  • Instead of my first reaction to combative situations, I have to quiet down and listen to GOD.
  • Instead of festering over what is making me angry, I need to seek GOD’s peace.
  • Instead of becoming bitter, lustful or enraged, I must first find another way, namely ask the HOLY SPIRIT for help.

 

“Do not make GOD’s HOLY SPIRIT sad” are strange words that stick out to me. I mean, all powerful GOD can be hurt by my words and choices? Apparently HE can. My guess is HE knows how harmful my words and actions can really be to others and to myself. HE also knows the consequences of my choices and how detrimental they will be later in life or eternity.

 

GOD wants me to “be” forgiven and “feel” forgiven. HE forgives me forever, but when I sin or want to hurt people because of a bitter heart, I do not “feel” forgiven which causes me to spiral into harmful ways. GOD wants me to be built up so HE gives me to opportunity to use “helpful words” to build others up to serve HIM. I am glad HE forgives me and you.

 

Challenge.

  • What is the overall plea of the writer?
  • How would you like to be treated by others?
  • Will you take GOD’s advice and please the HOLY SPIRIT by being “kind”, “tender hearted” and “forgiving” to one another today?

No comments:

Post a Comment