Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Breaking Old Habits

Breaking Old Habits

Ephesians 4: 17 In the Lord's name, then, I warn you: do not continue to live like the heathen, whose thoughts are worthless 18 and whose minds are in the dark. They have no part in the life that God gives, for they are completely ignorant and stubborn. 19 They have lost all feeling of shame; they give themselves over to vice and do all sorts of indecent things without restraint.

 

20 That was not what you learned about Christ! 21 You certainly heard about him, and as his followers you were taught the truth that is in Jesus. 22 So get rid of your old self, which made you live as you used to—the old self that was being destroyed by its deceitful desires. 23 Your hearts and minds must be made completely new, 24 and you must put on the new self, which is created in God's likeness and reveals itself in the true life that is upright and holy.

 

============

 

Scared and shamed, I peeped through the hole in the door of the women’s locker room at school. This made me want the “real thing.” In college I progressed to “the real thing”, but did it under the cover of night. Someone said to me “I saw your car parked overnight in front of a certain dorm.” He was proud of me.

 

  • I was no longer shamed.
  • I was progressing down a path where I was led by my desires.
  • I was ready to defend the dangerous path I was on in an ignorant and stubborn way.

 

Paul is very direct with his words as he addressed a concern with those who had given up on following purity as a means of worshipping GOD. Their lying minds had put them on a path where they were no longer ashamed of their actions, rather they had found a crowd who accepted their deceitful desires.

 

My Observations

  • Only GOD can provide a new heart and mind for me.
  • When life seems hopeless, I have a new self I can put on that is made by GOD.
  • GOD’s likeness is a way of life that I can strive for.

 

Getting rid of old habits is not always easy. I mean, when life’s pressures come knocking on my heart, I want to throw away self-control and indulge in the ways of the world for a moment of pleasure. BUT GOD wants different.

 

HE offers a better way that is full of life. GOD has a life that is full of truth which is upright and holy. HIS path is always right and HIS rewards will never fall away. I gladly surrender my life to GOD, daily.

 

Challenge

  • Was the message of the writer shocking to you?
  • Is there any part of you that seems to keep you from growing up that you struggle with?
  • Will you believe GOD gives you another chance daily because HE is willing to wipe away your sins?
  • Will you remain encouraged and ask GOD for HIS help with keeping you on HIS path so you can put on the “new self” as the answer with a new heart and new mind today?

No comments:

Post a Comment