Friday, August 5, 2011

Don’t worry be stress free!


Luke 10: 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
   41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

============

Crying seemed like the thing to do when I didn’t get the gift I wanted at Christmas. I also cried when someone stole my bike. But as I got older I traded my tears for stress when things went wrong.

Job stability, “that” promotion, bills and family health became the things I felt like crying over. I became so stressed out that I couldn’t even sleep. Which worry should I focus on?

  • I can spend my life chasing money, fame and power but it will cost me my peace.
  • I can spend my life chasing notoriety, trinkets and worldly pleasure but it will cost me my rest.
  • I can spend my life chasing pipe dreams, money making schemes and lavish vacations but it will cost me my humility.

Everything else that I look at is a distraction away from GOD. Yeah, I know this sounds extreme, but really how much time do I really waste not focusing on HIM? The answer is quite a bit! Most of my plans, pleasures and purpose are focused on “me” and getting ahead.

  • GOD wants me to focus some of my life worshipping HIM.
  • GOD wants me to focus some of my life praising how great HE is.
  • GOD wants me to focus some of my life choosing “what is better.”

Bills, work and stress are always going to be there, but spending time with GOD is precious. Martha chose to focus on work when she should have focused on GOD.

  • Are you trying to climb the corporate ladder and have lost sight of GOD?
  • Are you stressed out about something?
  • Can you focus your attention on GOD for just a moment to feel HIS peace?

No comments:

Post a Comment