Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Why do bad things happen?

Luke 13: 14 Indignant because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath, the synagogue leader said to the people, “There are six days for work. So come and be healed on those days, not on the Sabbath.”

 15 The Lord answered him, “You hypocrites! Doesn’t each of you on the Sabbath untie your ox or donkey from the stall and lead it out to give it water? 16 Then should not this woman, a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has kept bound for eighteen long years, be set free on the Sabbath day from what bound her?”

============

“Why me?” are the words I have exclaimed many times when something went wrong in my life. When my bike was stolen, “why me?” came out of my mouth. When someone totaled my car, “why me?” was top of mind. When that relationship dissolved, “why me?” was hard to figure out. And when that person died “why me?” was the first thing I could think of.
  • Satan wants me to ask “why me?” because it weakens my relationship with GOD.
  • Satan wants me to ask “why me?” because it increases my selfishness.
  • Satan wants me to ask “why me?” because it makes me doubt GOD’s position, abilities and love for me.
“Why me?” is focused on “me” not GOD. In the “circumstance” I call bad, GOD uses for good.  It’s immature to think a difficult circumstance is caused by my recent sin rather than understanding that difficulties are caused “because” I try to serve GOD.
  • Immaturity says “why me” when something was stolen from me, maturity says “thank GOD” I am learning not to value possessions more than valuing GOD.
  • Immaturity says “why me” when ‘that’ person is not in my life, maturity says “thank GOD” I no longer have that distraction away from my LORD.
  • Immaturity says “why me” when ‘that’ person is hurt or dies, maturity says “thank GOD” salvation is available to me, my family and to all who believe.

I have to admit the “cursed” earth concept is hard to swallow.  I question GOD not seeing what HE is doing to make my life better. I blame HIM and fight HIM and challenge HIM rather than giving my will to HIM and doing HIS work. Oh, but when I do follow GOD, marvelous things happen.

Since I am at war with Satan, the question isn’t “why me?” the statement is “of course it’s me!” I am a follow of GOD!

  • Have you run into some difficult times?
  • Are you asking, “why me?”
  • Can you take a moment to understand GOD loves you even through this difficult time?

No comments:

Post a Comment