Wednesday, August 10, 2011

You are what you “see.”

Luke 11: 34 Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eyes are healthy, your whole body also is full of light. But when they are unhealthy, your body also is full of darkness. 35 See to it, then, that the light within you is not darkness.

============

Huddled around a hole gouged in the locker room wall that separated our dressing area from the girls, we took turns peeping making us late for our next class. Pervert! Standing around complaining because everyone else was, so I joined in. Complainer! Joining in on the mob to take “that” person down. Backstabber! And the list goes on.
  • I become a creep if I watch a steady diet of creepy things.
  • I become a violent person if I watch violence as a regular diet.
  • I become a bully if I watch and admire other bullies get their way.
Sometimes I have to turn the TV off! I mean to get away from the depressed news, over indulgent sensuality, compassionless sarcastic humor and over exaggerated violence. I found I needed “silence” to heal my soul because I saw too many negative things that wounded and harassed my spirit. I was becoming the things I watched.
  • In order to be compassionate, I need to see examples of compassion.
  • In order to be loving, I need to see examples of love.
  • In order to be caring, I need to see people who need to be cared for.
I can’t always hide from the sewage spilling into my mind, but I can purposefully seek a break from it in order to serve GOD the way HE wants to be served. When I look at whatever is good, lovely, pure and kind, I find all burdens, fears, worries and doubts to go away. I can then praise GOD!
  • What are you looking at?
  • Is the thing you are looking at causing you to lust or stumble?
  • Can you take time to stop looking at that for a moment?
  • Will you seek to look at someone serving?

No comments:

Post a Comment