Friday, August 23, 2019

Before Accusing


John 8:they said to Him, “Teacher, this woman was caught in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses, in the law, commanded us that such should be stoned. But what do You say?” This they said, testing Him, that they might have something of which to accuse Him. But Jesus stooped down and wrote on the ground with His finger, as though He did not hear.

So when they continued asking Him, He raised Himself up and said to them, “He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first.” And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. Then those who heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning with the oldest even to the last. And Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10 When Jesus had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, “Woman, where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?”

11 She said, “No one, Lord.”

And Jesus said to her, “Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more.”

12 Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”

============

“Ooo, I’m telling” was my threat to my adversary. Getting this person in trouble and seeing them punished was my goal so I added a few items just to make sure the sentence was harsh.

Unfortunately the person I spoke to used discernment and made me settle the issue I had with the person I was telling on. They also gave me a warning. “Be careful of accusing someone or you may get in trouble yourself.”

  • Many times I wanted to accuse someone.
  • Many times I wanted to see “that” person get in trouble.
  • Many times I wanted to see justice served because of my accusation.


JESUS discerned the motives of the church leaders. HE wrote something on the ground that may have scared them. Did HE write the names of those who also committed adultery? Or did JESUS write specific hidden sins of the church leaders? We do not know. BUT JESUS did something else.

  • JESUS forgives me in the middle of my sin.
  • JESUS has compassion for me, knowing I need HIM.
  • JESUS ignores my accuser, the devil, by giving me the HOLY SPIRIT who pleads for me on my behalf.


Before accusing anyone, GOD wants me to check my motive for accusing them. Do I want to restore this person or tear them down? If it is the latter of the two, then I may be accused of hatred by GOD HIMSELF. I am grateful GOD forgives me.

  • Are you slandering someone?
  • Do you speak harshly about other people?
  • Will you stop trying to get others in trouble and seek GOD’s restoration so they can bring others to HIM today?


No comments:

Post a Comment