Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Rule Hugger


John 7: 19 Did not Moses give you the law, yet none of you keeps the law? Why do you seek to kill Me?”

20 The people answered and said, “You have a demon. Who is seeking to kill You?”

21 Jesus answered and said to them, “I did one work, and you all marvel.22 Moses therefore gave you circumcision (not that it is from Moses, but from the fathers), and you circumcise a man on the Sabbath. 23 If a man receives circumcision on the Sabbath, so that the law of Moses should not be broken, are you angry with Me because I made a man completely well on the Sabbath? 24 Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.”

============

“What a reckless driver!” I grunted to myself. As the person darted in and out I could see the imminent danger approaching. Then a morbid thought crossed my mind. “I hope they get in an accident, that will show them.” Moments later I saw police lights coming from a distance. “That’s what they get!” I thought. The police pulled me over. I was speeding.

  • Many times I have judged people.
  • Many times I wanted people to be punished.
  • Many times I desired to see “justice” for others but not for myself.



Angry at JESUS due to their flawed thinking, the Jews sought to put HIM to death for healing a man on the Sabbath. JESUS was not following their controlling ways and as their popularity diminished, their hatred escalated to wanting to kill HIM. When JESUS confronted them, they said to the Most High GOD, that HE had a demon.

  • JESUS wants me to see HIM as the one who judges me and others.
  • JESUS wants me to see “us” instead of them, when it comes to people.
  • JESUS wants me to include myself in the basket of sinners so my desire to judge people will be smaller.


Following the rules does not cleanse me of the rules I have broken. In fact, the more I study GOD’s word, the more I realize I cannot ever clean myself up. BUT GOD can clean me up. JESUS went through life sinless, was murdered to pay for my sin and was raised from the dead to prove HIS power over life and death.

HE wants me to seek HIS grace instead of blaming HIM for not giving me “my” way this time. Time is short and hatred for one another is growing. JESUS wants me to seek those HE has chosen, so I can give HIS words of encouragement. I am glad HE wants me to exchange my judgement for encouragement.

  • Are you judging someone?
  • Do you spend enormous amounts of time grousing about someone in power?
  • Will you stop your negative words and start encouraging people to follow JESUS today?


No comments:

Post a Comment