Thursday, November 7, 2019

Cautious Confidence


John 13: 36 Simon Peter said to Him, “Lord, where are You going?”
Jesus answered him, “Where I am going you cannot follow Me now, but you shall follow Me afterward.”

37 Peter said to Him, “Lord, why can I not follow You now? I will lay down my life for Your sake.”
38 Jesus answered him, “Will you lay down your life for My sake? Most assuredly, I say to you, the rooster shall not crow till you have denied Me three times.

============

“I will never do that again” I said in haste. I was so relieved to be out of the bad situation, so I exclaimed how I would “never” get back into the same problem. Maybe a day or so passed and I found myself tiptoeing around the thing that got me in trouble in the first place.

  • There have been times when I was over confident in my ability to stay away from sin.
  • There have been times when I was over confident in my ability to follow what GOD says I should be doing.
  • There have been times when I just knew I would never sin again and be perfect for the rest of my life.


Peter was perplexed by JESUS’s words of leaving. “Where are YOU going LORD?” Peter inquired. JESUS had already explained that HE was going to die and be raised, so HE said “You will, in fact, follow ME, but not now.”  Peter in his zeal said “I am willing to lay down my life for YOU.” JESUS said “You will deny ME.”

  • GOD wants me to be confident in HIS abilities, not mine.
  • GOD wants me to understand that my Spirit is willing but my flesh is weak.
  • GOD wants me to know there will be times when I will do what I do not want to do and other times when I will do what HE wants me to do.


Being excited about GOD is great. I mean HE cares for me and is the most powerful being there is. Siding with HIM can give me confidence that HE can resolve any situation I can get in. But my confidence needs to be proceeded with caution. I should also know that I am still a sinner who fights temptation daily. My confidence is in GOD’s forgiveness when I am weak.

  • Do you have a lot of self-confidence?
  • Do you like to control the situation because of your lack of confidence in others?
  • Will you place less confidence in your abilities and more confidence in GOD’s love for you?


No comments:

Post a Comment