Thursday, March 24, 2022

Bad Fruit

Bad Fruit

Galatians 5: 19 What human nature does is quite plain. It shows itself in immoral, filthy, and indecent actions; 20 in worship of idols and witchcraft. People become enemies and they fight; they become jealous, angry, and ambitious. They separate into parties and groups; 21 they are envious, get drunk, have orgies, and do other things like these. I warn you now as I have before: those who do these things will not possess the Kingdom of God.

 

============

 

Continuing on yesterday’s thought, I remember being excited about going to college where I found “freedom” to do what “everybody” else was doing. When I joined in with the group I liked, I was able to get drunk, have as much sex as I wanted and join in on a few battles with malicious words. I found myself not attending classes, then I was kicked out. The “fun” group was not there to help.

 

  • I was on a path to destroying myself and others.
  • I cared so much about experiencing pleasure that I was blind to my own actions.
  • I wanted to fit in with a group that was trying to use “fun” as a medication to life’s difficulties.

 

Paul provides a list that could be confusing. He lists actions that some would ask “what’s wrong with that?” He is warning people about their “purpose” in life. The list is not about a specific sin, it is about life’s pursuits. His warning is, if people pursue yielding to human nature too long, eventually he or she will not be able to hear GOD.

 

My Observations

  • Recognizing that I am blinded by my own desires helps me see GOD.
  • Asking GOD to give me strength to ignore the things that are barriers to hearing HIM puts me back on HIS path.
  • Knowing that JESUS died for all my sins helps me when I fall.

 

Believing in JESUS enables me to possess the Kingdom of GOD. But what happens if I sin? If I confess my sins HE is faithful and just to forgive me of my sins and cleanse me of all unrighteousness. Getting back to the passage, it is about life’s pursuits that GOD is looking at.

 

HE knows when I am pursuing “my” own kingdom versus HIS. HE let’s be bear bad fruit, thinking my crowd can “support” me through life’s difficulties. HE allows my bad fruit to grow into horrible situations that may have affected many. Fortunately, HE always makes a way back to HIM. I am grateful I can run back to GOD and HE welcomes me with open forgiving arms.

 

Challenge

  • Is there any part of the list the writer brings that would concern you?
  • Do you find yourself justifying your own actions with a group?
  • Will you stop listening to your human nature and confess to GOD that your life may be on a dangerous path and you need HIS help to guide you back to HIM today?

No comments:

Post a Comment