Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Something from Nothing

Something from Nothing

Galatians 6: If you think you are something when you really are nothing, you are only deceiving yourself. You should each judge your own conduct. If it is good, then you can be proud of what you yourself have done, without having to compare it with what someone else has done. For each of you have to carry your own load.

 

============

 

When I got the title I was looking for, I thought I was “something.” I watched those who carried their titles “well” and I sought to be like them. I modeled their purchases, habits and speech patterns. One day, I no longer had that “title.” What was I going to do?

 

  • I felt I was a nobody.
  • I had wrapped my esteem in things I could compare to other people.
  • I secretly missed the clout and recognition for achievement.

 

Paul gives a stern warning about thinking you are “something.” This form of pride is based on comparison to others and needing other people to “affirm” actions. He provides a remedy, “carry your own load.”

 

My Observations

  • There is one being I should compare my life to, namely JESUS.
  • When I compare my sinful life to JESUS, I quickly see that I am nothing.
  • GOD knows HE can use me especially when I do not think more highly of myself.

 

Liking myself was difficult because I thought I had to achieve titles and acquire things to be recognized by others as “something.” BUT GOD scoffed at my titles and achievements because HE is the MOST HIGH. I was busy comparing myself to my coworkers and sometimes taking shots at them to make myself look good.

 

GOD loves when I recognize I am nothing without HIM. HE opens my eyes to be thankful for what HE has done and where HE has placed me. I can then see that HE values me without titles or stuff. I am grateful GOD can love me just as I am. HE made me something from nothing.

 

Challenge

  • What two types of pride do you see in this passage?
  • How can you tell if you are doing “good conduct?”
  • If you compare yourself to others, will you accept the fact that GOD loves you without titles or achievements, so you can carry your own load to serve HIM today?

No comments:

Post a Comment