Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Directed Freedom

Directed Freedom

Galatians 5: 16 What I say is this: let the Spirit direct your lives, and you will not satisfy the desires of the human nature. 17 For what our human nature wants is opposed to what the Spirit wants, and what the Spirit wants is opposed to what our human nature wants. These two are enemies, and this means that you cannot do what you want to do. 18 If the Spirit leads you, then you are not subject to the Law.

 

============

 

Arriving on campus, I could hear the loud music blasting from various dorm rooms. We had a drunken party that night and many opportunities for sex. “I’m going to love this place!” I thought to myself!

 

  • I thought I was finally freed from the “tyranny” of self-control.
  • I thought it was alright to have a little “fun.”
  • I thought of the normal excuse: “Everyone else is doing it.”

 

Paul addresses a very difficult topic, namely self-control. He explains the built in war within all humans that desires to get our own way with no surrender. Every impulse desires to be satisfied and will fight even the MOST HIGH to get it. This is a trap. But there is an escape path.

 

My Observation

  • The HOLY SPIRIT wants to guide me to freedom daily if I would only listen.
  • The HOLY SPIRIT lives inside me and fights the internal battle for me.
  • The HOLY SPIRIT pleads on my behalf because I deserve eternal separation from the love of GOD.

 

“All have sinned and fall short of the glory of GOD” is a hard statement to swallow. I mean, I was born in sin that I did not have a choice over. Meanwhile, I was given the ability to choose to believe in the cure for my sinful lite or live life to its fullest without regard to who GOD wants me to be. Seemed hopeless because I would choose to live life without GOD.

 

Fortunately for me, HE chose me. HE pursued me and showed me there is a better way to live that provides true hope and freedom. I can read GOD’s word for truth and listen to the HOLY SPIRIT for guidance to freedom daily. I can then oppose getting “my” way and seek GOD’s kingdom the way HE wants me to. I am grateful HE pursues me when I would not look for HIM.

 

Challenge

  • What is the writer talking about when mentioning the “human nature?”
  • What war do you seem to be fighting inside of you?
  • What small steps can you take to listen to the HOLY SPIRIT and introduce a small amount of self-control to follow JESUS on the path HE has for you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment