Monday, March 14, 2022

Freedom is Our Mother

Freedom is Our Mother

Galatians 4: 21 Let me ask those of you who want to be subject to the Law: do you not hear what the Law says? 22 It says that Abraham had two sons, one by a slave woman, the other by a free woman. 23 His son by the slave woman was born in the usual way, but his son by the free woman was born as a result of God's promise. 24 These things can be understood as a figure: the two women represent two covenants. The one whose children are born in slavery is Hagar, and she represents the covenant made at Mount Sinai. 25 Hagar, who stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia, is a figure of the present city of Jerusalem, in slavery with all its people. 26 But the heavenly Jerusalem is free, and she is our mother. 27 For the scripture says,

 

“Be happy, you childless woman!

    Shout and cry with joy, you who never felt the pains of childbirth!

For the woman who was deserted will have more children

    than the woman whose husband never left her.”

 

============

 

Wanting to live “right” I decided to start over. My life was not going as well as I would have liked, so I pursued GOD for a change. I attended church regularly and went to a bible college to learn more. I soon felt bad about my relationship with GOD because of all the rules humans put in place to “follow the rules.”

 

  • I felt obligated to “do” a lot.
  • I felt like GOD was ready to punish me if I did the slightest sin.
  • I felt more confined trying to follow the Law so I could “please” GOD.

 

What sets us free, our actions or GOD’s loving grace? Paul tackles this difficult question by tearing down a cultural norm. Church leaders at that time wanted to categorize people as “sinners” for not following the Law. Pharisees made rules to follow the rules. They were putting people in bondage versus setting them free.

 

My Observations

  • Free will was given to me as a gift.
  • I am freed from the eternal consequence of my sins because I believe that JESUS is GOD who rose from the dead after becoming a human and being murdered by HIS creation.
  • I choose to refrain from temptation to keep my mind clear enough to hear the soft voice of GOD as HE speaks through HIS Word.

 

The Law doesn’t save us, JESUS does, so being “good” will never get me anywhere. I mean, I cannot rely on thinking I can be “good” enough to merit any favor with GOD. JESUS fulfilled the promise given through mother Sarah. She and Mary had miraculous pregnancies.

 

Belief in JESUS means I am forgiven for my sins and no longer have to walk the tightrope of perfection. This is Good News! Now, I can choose to follow what GOD says and be rewarded for when I choose HIS ways. HE desires to bring all of HIS creations back to HIM. GODS is not an achievement, HE is GOD. I am glad HE freed me.

 

Challenge

  • What sticks out to you in this passage?
  • Have you ever felt that GOD was distant because you were not getting your way?
  • Will you know that GOD is already pleased with you and you do not have to “do” more, or “give” more or “hurt” more so you can get your way?
  • Will you simply “be” HIS child by loving JESUS today?

No comments:

Post a Comment