Monday, March 21, 2022

Dropping the Safety Net

 

Dropping the Safety Net

Galatians 5: 11 But as for me, my friends, if I continue to preach that circumcision is necessary, why am I still being persecuted? If that were true, then my preaching about the cross of Christ would cause no trouble. 12 I wish that the people who are upsetting you would go all the way; let them go on and castrate themselves!

 

============

 

Comparing how well the food was prepared from one household to the next was easy. At one household, I critiqued the flavors, at the other I judged presentation. I had a lot to say until I had to do the cooking for a large group. It was a lot of pressure!

 

  • I felt safe to critique, but not to receive feedback.
  • I felt opinionated when I was not driving or leading the effort.
  • I felt I could complain when I had only a small part or no part at all in the success of someone else’s effort.

 

Paul implies that it is harder than it looks to speak about JESUS. Some people who were upsetting many, were placing unnecessary barriers in the way of those who desired to believe in CHRIST. Church leaders were giving lists of rules to follow, without giving themselves to the only Savior, namely JESUS. Paul expresses his anger towards those who attempt to take people off the path of following CHRIST.

 

My Observations

  • GOD wants me to continue following JESUS through persecution.
  • GOD knows I will be persecuted and gives me joy and perseverance to keep going.
  • GOD desires that I continue to speak about the “cross of CHRIST” without worrying about being safe.

 

Dropping the safety net is a term used by circus acts. A tightrope walker would practice with a safety net without fear of falling. But when the safety net was removed, they could plummet to their death.

 

Same goes with following JESUS. It is easy to post a couple of scripture and anonymously attend a church, but when I had to speak about JESUS to someone, it was a different feeling. I was questioned, my character was doubted and my motives attacked.

 

Anger ensued where I thought love should have sprouted. I then learned, the adversary wanted me to be safe and not speak boldly about JESUS. I am glad JESUS grows us to follow HIM with fervor.

 

Challenge

  • What do you notice about the writer’s persecution?
  • Do you think following JESUS should be easy?
  • Will you drop the safety net and prepare yourself to be persecuted by those who have not accepted JESUS because you joined HIM in HIS spiritual battle that HE has already won?

No comments:

Post a Comment