Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Called to be Free

Called to be Free

Galatians 5: 13 As for you, my friends, you were called to be free. But do not let this freedom become an excuse for letting your physical desires control you. Instead, let love make you serve one another. 14 For the whole Law is summed up in one commandment: “Love your neighbor as you love yourself.” 15 But if you act like wild animals, hurting and harming each other, then watch out, or you will completely destroy one another.

 

============

 

Freedom was something rarely preached in the churches I have attended. Come to think of it, I have never heard “freedom” preached, rather lists of things to do. When the lists do not work, then I felt I was in worse bondage than before. I would doubt GOD’s power because the list of “to do’s” was not working.

 

  • I wanted freedom but I wanted it “my” way.
  • I wanted wealth, power and pleasure as my definition of “freedom.”
  • I wanted what I wanted without regards to what someone else needed.

 

Paul reminds everyone that JESUS provided true freedom. HE gave one single command that enables us to fulfill the entire Law: “Love your neighbor as you love yourself.” There is nothing more “to do.”

 

My Observations

  • GOD’s love for me set me free from my sins.
  • GOD wants other people to be set free and believe in HIS SON as the only Savior.
  • Once I am freed from my sins, I can choose to be part of GOD’s family and serve others with the same love I have for myself.

 

Freedom is confusing. I mean, many preachers would stay away from saying “You are free to sin because JESUS forgave you for all your sins”, but this is a true statement. When I believe in JESUS, eternal death was no longer my path. But something strange happened.

 

GOD then filled me with the HOLY SPIRIT, making sin less desirable. HE then opened my eyes to my “neighbor” and whispers “Serve him or her even though he or she may not look or act like you.” I am grateful I am free to let people choose and I do not have to control their actions, only mine.

 

Challenge

  • What “freedom” is the writer speaking of?
  • Do you feel like you can let GOD down by your actions or inactions?
  • Will you get rid of trying so hard and purely believe that JESUS loves you and be filled up today to simply “be” HIS child today?

No comments:

Post a Comment