Thursday, March 17, 2016

True Fasting

Isaiah 58: 4 Your fasting ends in quarreling and strife,
    and in striking each other with wicked fists.
You cannot fast as you do today
    and expect your voice to be heard on high.
5 Is this the kind of fast I have chosen,
    only a day for people to humble themselves?
Is it only for bowing one’s head like a reed
    and for lying in sackcloth and ashes?
Is that what you call a fast,
    a day acceptable to the Lord?
6 “Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
    and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
    and break every yoke?
7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry
    and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe them,
    and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
    and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness will go before you,
    and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.
9 Then you will call, and the Lord will answer;
    you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.

============

“Do you want to join us in a fast?” someone asked me. “I’ll see” was my way of saying “No!” I mean what’s the purpose? I don’t eat or drink and what does that do? I went on my merry way. Weren’t these people just being religious fanatics?


  • I used to think fasting was useless.
  • I one time thought fasting was ridiculous.
  • I used to think fasting was only for the religious freaks who were hypocrites by “my” standard.


When I read about the powerless disciples who came back beat up after fighting a demonic battle, I was curious. JESUS said, “This kind of demon can only be cast out by prayer and fasting.” These seemingly powerless weapons were the most powerful to GOD. I mean prayer does not involve any on my part to solve or resolve the problem, nor does fasting.

When I tried fasting once, it seemed like an eternity. I never realized how much I ate during one day. I got used to it but my fasting eventually ended up pointing to “me” fasting. GOD wanted more.


  • GOD wants me to fast with a purpose. 
  • HE wants me to miss a meal so someone else can have one. 
  • GOD wants me to help the poor and guide my family to GOD. 


HIS fast calls me to point to HIM.





  • Are you afraid to fast?
  • Is your fast selfish?
  • Are you unchanged in your ways after a fast?
  • Will you give up your will versus giving up a meal?

No comments:

Post a Comment