Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Being Called “Names”

Isaiah 51:“Hear me, you who know what is right,
    you people who have taken my instruction to heart:
Do not fear the reproach of mere mortals
    or be terrified by their insults.
For the moth will eat them up like a garment;
    the worm will devour them like wool.
But my righteousness will last forever,
    my salvation through all generations.”

============

“Skinny Minnie, Captain Naps, and Floods” were some of the hurtful words people threw at me during one stage of my life. I tried to adjust. “Slow Poke, Weak, and Pitiful” were other words given to me by jocks. So, I tried to adjust again. Even more sinister words were given to me as labels as I grew up, some by those I thought I could trust. “Hmmm.”

  • There have been people who have hurled insults at me.
  • There have been people who have placed me in a box and stuck a label on it.
  • There have been people who decided in their mind that I am not a “good fit” for whatever.


When I received the insult, at first I would try to brush it off but then after a number of people said the same insult, I wondered, “What is wrong with me?” I mean I was skinny, so what? I was born into this culture, what am I to do?

  • GOD says to me “I made you and I AM pleased.”
  • GOD says to me “I have given you MY words, love those who insult you.”
  • GOD says to me “Do not fear the reproach of mere mortals or be terrified by their insults, for I AM the everlasting GOD who loves you and has given you a purpose.”


Fearing what someone thinks of me can lead to losing my identity. I try so hard to please the crowd that I wind up looking like them and acting like them. Soon I am off the track that GOD has me on. BUT GOD sees me and says to me “You are fine.” No need for many other words, no need for a long pep talk. GOD says “MY righteousness will last forever, MY salvation through all generations.”

GOD surpasses those who hurl insults or wield their power over me in an effort to keep me down. HE says “Keep going” in spite of their attempts. GOD is my rock.

  • Are you being held back by someone?
  • Do you replay their insults in your mind over and over?
  • Can you look past their attempt to control you and let GOD have your life?
  • Will you look to HIM for your salvation in this situation and eternally?


No comments:

Post a Comment