Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Preparing for Rest

 

Preparing for Rest

Hebrews 4: If Joshua had given the people the rest that God had promised, God would not have spoken later about another day. As it is, however, there still remains for God's people a rest like God's resting on the seventh day. 10 For those who receive that rest which God promised will rest from their own work, just as God rested from his. 11 Let us, then, do our best to receive that rest, so that no one of us will fail as they did because of their lack of faith.

 

============

 

“There has got to be more to life than this” I thought to myself. I went to work, ran into a bunch of conversations that were exhausting, came back to my apartment and flopped on the couch. “Is this it?” “Am I going to do this the rest of my life?”

 

  • I was living to work and working to live.
  • I had fallen into a rut and could not see much purpose in what I was doing.
  • I worked hard trying to live but I still ran into problems.

 

Paul, the assumed writer, compares the old covenant to the new. He mentions Joshua as a representative to the old covenant. If Joshua provided the rest that GOD promised, then there would be no need for another covenant. BUT GOD spoke of a different rest.

 

My Observations

  • JESUS is my refuge in whom I place my trust.
  • JESUS is who I can go to when I am not feeling rested.
  • JESUS is my Savior and one day I will receive the rest promised to me.

 

After a trial, I feel relieved. I mean, I can breathe out and finally get rest from what I was worried about. This feeling also applies to following JESUS. As difficult as it is to live fore HIM, telling others about HIM and being an example for HIM, one day I will be with HIM to receive rest.

 

No more worries, no more troubles, no more fears, doubts or worries. Pure rest. This rest comes to those who believe that JESUS is the only one who can provide the rest. HE died for the sins of humanity and was raised from the dead. HE went to prepare a place for us so we can rest from the work we do for HIM today. I look forward to this rest and will continue my “work” until then.

 

Challenge

  • What work is the writer referring to?
  • Have you ever wanted some rest but could not find it?
  • Will you place your trust in JESUS so HE will give you what HE promised, namely rest from being weary?

No comments:

Post a Comment